Control and repayment

If you receive housing allowance and experience a significant increase in your household’s income, you are obliged to report it to the municipality. What is considered a significant increase in income for your household is noted in the decision letter from the Housing Bank.

Automatic retrospective income checks

Each year the Housing Bank will check that the right income figure has been used to calculate your housing allowance this year. This will be done each time a new tax settlement notice is issued.

For example: Up until December 2015 we used the income figure from the tax settlement notice from 2014 to calculate your housing allowance. When the tax settlement for 2015 is ready around October 2016, we will collect information about your household’s actual income in 2015.

What happens if you do not report an income increase?

If it is revealed that your income in 2015 was significantly higher than your income in 2014 without you giving notice, we will demand repayment of the housing allowance received.

If it turns out that your household income rose significantly without you informing us, we can demand repayment of the housing allowance received. To avoid a demand of repayment of received housing allowance in 2015, it is important that you report it if your household’s income increases significantly in 2015.